United Kingdom

I tried to commit suicide and did not expect to survive, but i did survive and had to have my leg amputated. can not forgive myself. how do i move on and live with it? how do people overcome this?

Dr. Bernard Seif
Clinical Psychology 41 years experience
It's good to hear: that you are motivated to live on and forgive yourself today. We all have wounds from past mistakes, yours is more visible. After clearance from your doc or mental health professional, please consider working for a suicide prevention group or hotline. Using our past suffering to help others can be a win-win. Peace and good health.
Dr. Tanya Russo
Psychotherapy: Successful recovery will depend on quality psychotherapy. Severe depression is difficult to manage without professional help. Please find a therapist you can work with, and start your road to a happier, healthier life.
Dr. Lynne Weixel
Clinical Psychology 37 years experience
I hope we can help.: It's going to be hard, but it can be worthwhile. Forgiveness tends to happen in the background. You may not even realize it's happened - but you just feel better. Dr. Russo's right. You need to find a psychotherapist just right for you and that may mean a few tries. They need to get to know and care for YOU. which takes time together - trust must build. (I'll add more in a comment below).
Dr. Lynne Weixel
Clinical Psychology 37 years experience
Provided original answer
Once you trust trust them you can internalize their acceptance. It's like good parenting, so be patient - it's your best option. I wish I could get to know you. I'm willing to guide your effort. Searching the Midlands for resources now. You try too, okay?
Jun 23, 2014
Dr. Lynne Weixel
Clinical Psychology 37 years experience
Provided original answer
This group is in California, but they might know folks in your place. Worth a try. http://www.didihirsch.org/sites/default/files/pdf/sas-newsletters/DHMHS_SAS_Newsletter_200707_0.pdf
Jun 23, 2014
Dr. Linda Callaghan
Addiction Medicine 54 years experience
I totally agree that a therapist you trust can help you forgive yourself. However, you must also get treatment for your depression so that you will never have to resort to suicide if you get desperate again. A support group can help as well as spiritual counseling.
Jun 23, 2014