VA

i had my wisdom teeth removed this morning and was under general anesthesia and my body has been itching most of the day, but there is no rash. is th?

Dr. Gary Sandler
Dentistry 54 years experience
Call your doctor: Call your doctor and explain your symptoms. This is something your doctor should determine based upon your complete medical history, drugs used, medications prescribed and treatment rendered. One does not have to have a rash in order to have an allergic reaction.
Dr. William Jenkins
Specializes in Anesthesiology
You might: check any medications you received or are receiving for pain or antibiotics, they can release histamine and not be an allergic reaction, but discuss with dentist.
Dr. Anthony Pollizzi
Anesthesiology 36 years experience
Allergy: You could be allergic to the antibiotic or a narcotic used.
Dr. Paul Grin
Pain Management 36 years experience
Allergy: This is a side effect of opiates (such as morphine), but can be caused by an allergy. If you have itchiness, it can be treated with other drugs like Benadryl, (diphenhydramine) is the best over-the-counter medication for itching,
Dr. Karen Sibert
Anesthesiology 39 years experience
Antibiotics?: Most common medications causing itchiness in the setting of surgery and anesthesia are antibiotics and pain relievers such as Demerol (meperidine hydrochloride) or Vicodin. If you were put on an antibiotic, check to see what kind, and check with your surgeon. Many pain relievers that contain narcotics can cause itching. If you don't have a rash or any trouble breathing, this is not a dangerous reaction.
Dr. Jeffrey Bassman
Dentistry 45 years experience
Vague: Could be a reaction to the meds. Hard to say. I would call the dental/oral surgeon office and inquire asap.

Last updated Dec 25, 2016