Sturgis, SD

I'm being treated with tetracycline and metronidazole for my h pylori. my stool has been black and tarry . is this a side effect of the meds?

Dr. John Munshower
Not really: It may be more a sign that you have some internal intestinal bleeding, call your GI Dr. ASAP, and let them know your symptoms and get in to see them.
Dr. Lisa Rankin
ADHD and Autism 25 years experience
Possibly : Those meds are often combined with pepto bismol (bismuth subsalicylate) as part of the protocol and this will cause black stools. Once you finish the protocol it will resolve. If you are not taking pepto bismol (bismuth subsalicylate) than you need to speak with provider as blood in stool will give black stools.

Last updated Feb 27, 2019