Baltimore, MD

would hydrocortisone help the boil on my 2 year olds butt?

Dr. Ronald Krauser
No: It actually has the potential to make it worse. See your pediatrician and do not attempt to treat it yourself.

I've tried hydrocortisone ointment for my ears, but my ears still itches. What can I do?

Dr. Mike Bowman
ENT and Head and Neck Surgery 19 years experience
Vinegar/peroxide: Mix white vinegar and peroxide equal parts and use a bit to clean the ears. The white vinegar is a natural antibiotic and anti fungal. Avoid q-tips! if the symptoms persist, see your ENT for evaluation. You could have a chronic infection which is easy to treat, but may require prescription medications. Best wishes.
NY

Is cortizone (hydrocortisone) guaranteed to work for heel spur?

Dr. Kathleen Cullen
Not necessarily: A heel spur is a calcium deposit located in the heel that usually presses on the soft tissue and tendons in the heel causing pain. Although a cortisone shot can help reduce inflammation and reduce pain, it does not remove the spur. Sometimes surgical intervention is warrented.
Brooklyn, NY

Is using hydrocortisone cream on my face considered safe?

Dr. Danielle Jones
Dr. Danielle Jonesanswered
Sometimes: It is best to avoid using Hydrocortisone creams on the face unless specifically directed by a dermatologist. Steroids, like hydrocortisone, cause sensitivity & thinning of skin that can be extreme on the face. If directed by a physician to use these on the face, use is generally advised at very low percentages for only a brief period of time and creams should be kept well away from the eyes.

Is there any other cream that I can use for eczema because hydrocortisone breaks me out?

Dr. Morris Westfried
Dermatology 46 years experience
Pro topic, elidel (pimecrolimus): Pro topic or Elidel (pimecrolimus) are non cortisone creams which can br used for eczema. Barrier repair creams such as hylatopic, eletone can be used as part of regimen for treating eczema. They can be used in combination. Oral supplements that are helpful include zinc and essential fatty acids found in flaxseeds. Depending on the extent and location allergy patch testing could help.

I still haven't noticed a difference in my rash after hydrocortisone cream? How long does it take to work?

Dr. Michael Fisher
Dermatology 32 years experience
Skin rash: There are a number of reasons why the Hydrocortisone cream does not work: you have not used it long enough, the Hydrocortisone is not strong enough and you need a prescription cortisone cream, the rash does not respond to cortisone and is a fungal rash and you need an anti fungal cream. I recommend you see your local dermatologist for help with your rash.