How much time does it take for a depomedrol (methylprednisolone) injection in the spine to take effect?

2 doctors weighed in across 2 answers
Dr. Leland Berkwits answered

Specializes in Pain Management

Spinal injection: There are different types of spinal injections. Epidural steroid injections are often performed for nerve pain due to a pinched nerve (radiculitis/radiculopathy) and facet joint injections are performed for back pain. Depomedrol (methylprednisolone) is a long acting steroid that dissolves over 6 weeks. Because it takes time to dissolve it takes an average of 2 weeks to have maximal effect.

Answered 7/15/2014

3.9k views

Dr. Qamar Khan answered

Specializes in Pain Management

Depends: Each location for epidural injection is meant to be given as close to the location of the pathology. Depending on what technique the doctor is using you can be below the level of pathology or right at the level to get relief from the injection. The steroid can typically take 4-7 days to start working and take up to 2 weeks to demonstrate more relief. Sometimes it takes a second injection.

Answered 7/15/2014

3.9k views