St. Paul's , NC

do yellow stools always mean p/cancer? g/bladder liver had no masses. amylase/lipase normal, bilirubin,alkaline phosphatase normal. symptoms, gas/bloat yellow stool only. wait for ct result. scared!

Dr. Neel Karne
General Surgery 18 years experience
No: Yellow stools can have to do with many other things. It is difficult to diagnose pancreatic cancer based on the color of stool. A CT scan will be very helpful. Other things would be lab tests such as CEA and CA 19-9. In addition, the CT scan should be a triple phase CT which will improve detection. Yellow stools can also be related to pancreatic insufficiency, not cancer.
Dr. Kelvin White
No: Usually pancreatic cancer is asymptotic and usually associated with and pain, lower leg edema and bowel obstruction. Yellow or clay colored stool are usually due malasorption of fat. Relax and just waiting for CT results.