I'm going to get a steroid epidural injection but i was worried if in the past i've had epidural issues resulting in three blood patches is it safe?

11 doctors weighed in across 5 answers
Dr. Mary Ness answered

There are risks.: As you know, there are risks with epidurals. Risk is significantly higher in neck than in low back. I would recommend you have a n in-depth conversation with the person who plans to do the epidural . Then decide if you want to accept these risks for the expected benefit.

Answered 7/6/2015

4.1k views

Dr. Paul Grin answered

Specializes in Pain Management

An epidural steroid: injection is a very common procedure to treat spinal nerve impingement. The goal is to decrease the irritation of the nerve root and decrease chronic pain. The procedure is done under the fluoroscopy (x-ray) and considered safe. The major complications are infection, CSF leak, bleeding, nerve damage. Success rates are 50%. There is no research to point out the frequency of the procedure. Best...

Answered 5/15/2014

4.1k views

Dr. William Jenkins answered

Specializes in Anesthesiology

You received a blood: patch because of a spinal headache from a spinal injection. to answer your question assume accidental spinal from attempted epidural, need to know skill of operator, and reason for epidural or spinal, but most likely safe

Answered 5/15/2014

4.1k views

Dr. Qamar Khan answered

Specializes in Pain Management

Hard to say: Would speak with your doctor if your are concerned so they are aware of your past experiences. Also sometimes transforming epidural injection approach can reduce the likelihood of this issue much better, see if that is right for you.

Answered 11/25/2016

3.9k views

Safe: be sure to tell you anesthesiologist your history of blood patches

Answered 11/19/2014

3.5k views