can you tell me if throughout pregnancy, what has effect on the incidence of sudden infant death syndrome?

Dr. Holly Maes
Smoking: The only one sure thing that happens during pregnancy that is definitely tied to SIDS is maternal smoking. Pregnant moms need to quit, not just cut back. The smoking is causing permanent effects to the brain cells that affect newborn remembering to breath and increase risk of SIDS
Dr. Cindy Williams
SIDS : SIDS happens after birth. As far as I know, there are no prenatal risk factors. Of course, you should take good care of yourself, and follow your ObGyn's instructions. After birth, follow the SIDS prevention instructions, and always put your baby on it's back, to sleep. http://www.cdc.gov/sids/
Dr. Clarene Cress
Specializes in Pediatrics
Smoking during pregnancy as well as after the baby has been born has been associated with increased likelihood of SIDS.
Jul 7, 2014