Magna, UT

What does it mean when my mri results say that my cerebellar tonsils are seen low lying 4.2mm below, suggesting chiari malformation?

Dr. Reza Karimi
Neurosurgery 16 years experience
Chiari malformation: What you're describing is a typical finding for a chiari type 1 malformation. Chiari malformation is basically when part of the brain (cerebellum) sits below the base of the skull. This may cause headaches, weakness, trouble swallowing/speaking, numbness of the arms....Many different symptoms are possible. It also can be asymptomatic. Get a neurological or neurosurgical evaluation.
Dr. Edison McDaniels
Specializes in Neurosurgery
Inconsequential: Why did you get an MRI? Having symptoms? Normal tonsils can descend up to 5-6 mm. In most cases, it is more the appearance crowding at foramen magnum (opening at the base of the skull; the tonsils in ur case pass 4.2 mm below this) than the actual #. Error in this measurement as well, so to say 4.2 mm is a bit disingenuous as the measurement is not that accurate. This is a very common situation.