Canada

i'm 6 weeks pregnant i have asthma. my dr said to stop my symbicort (budesonide and formoterol) n ventolin..but i've read my asthma needs to be controlled. is my dr wrong?

Dr. Lily Hwang
Pediatric Allergy and Asthma 18 years experience
Control your asthma: See an asthma specialist to help you manage your asthma. 1/3 of pregnant patients will have worsening asthma, 1/3 would have improvement of their asthma, and 1/3 will have their asthma stay the same. You want to use the least amount of medications to keep your asthma under control. Your asthma specialist may be able to help decrease your medications safely and monitor you closely during pregnancy.
Dr. Gary Steven
Pediatric Allergy and Asthma 30 years experience
Probably: If your asthma is severe enough that symbicort (budesonide and formoterol) is appropriate for you, you should definitely continue it in pregnancy. The risk to the baby of uncontrolled asthma is far greater than any possible risk of asthma meds. All pregnant asthmatics should seek the care of an allergist to maximize asthma control in mom, and prevent allergies in the baby, to as great an extent as possible.
Dr. Miriam Anand
Allergy and Immunology 23 years experience
See a specialist: Controlling asthma during pregnancy is critical. "if mom's not breathing, baby's not breathing." symbicort (budesonide and formoterol) and medications like it are technically category c, but many pregnant women have taken them throughout pregnancy with no known trouble. While ventolin (or albuterol) is also category c, albuterol has been around for decades and has no known ill effects during pregnancy. See a specialist.