NY

Is it harmful to have high folic acid levels in body prior to getting pregnant? i have read high folic acid prior to pregnancy my cause autism, true?

Dr. William Jurewitz
Specializes in Obstetrics & Gynecology
Folic acid: The cause(s) of autism are not completely known. A high Folic Acid level is not one of them though. Having a good Folic Acid intake prior to conception actually decreases certain birth defects in pregnancy. Taking about 1-4mg of Folic Acid while trying to conceive is actually a good idea.
Created for people with ongoing healthcare needs but benefits everyone.
Dr. Liviu CRACIUN
Neurology 27 years experience
No, it is not.: There is no clear data supporting a toxic Folic Acid side effect. The only situation where it me be potentially deleterious is pernicous anemia, if it is given without B12 vitamin.
Last updated Nov 27, 2017