Australia

I had my wisdom teeth out 3 days ago. my bottom gums have flared up and are red and sore the whole way around . is this normal?

Dr. John Sheets
Dentistry 33 years experience
Wisdom Teeth: Healing from wisdom teeth extractions can vary depending on how invasive the procedure was. If the discomfort worsens after a couple days, it is recommended to return to the surgeon. A dry socket occurs after extraction when the clot is expelled from the socket for a variety of reasons. The surgeon will place a medicine in a gauze to relieve the inflammation and may need to be placed several times.
Dr. Paul Grin
Pain Management 36 years experience
The healing process: Pain and swelling following dental extraction is usually at its worst 24 – 48 hours after surgery, after that it should subside more and more every day and after 7 days stop. Symptoms of pain at the surgical site and even pain to the ear may occur 2-7 days following surgery. If pain persists or worsens, it may require attention and you should call your dentist or oral surgeon for follow up.

Last updated Nov 10, 2014