U.S. doctors online nowAsk doctors free
A 33-year-old member asked:

i have severe guilt when i eat, don't know what to do. please help?

3 doctor answers6 doctors weighed in
Dr. Arthur Ciaramicoli
Clinical Psychology 45 years experience
Guilt: Your guilt regarding food needs to be understood as it appears you have conditioned yourself to be extremely critical of your self and your relationship to food. Ask for a referral to an eating disorder specialist who can help you develop a more balanced attitude toward food and toward yourself. Best.
Dr. Heidi Fowler
Psychiatry 25 years experience
Clearly this is a: problem that needs to be addressed. Do you restrict your eating? over-exercise? Use laxatives or diuretics to control weight? Diet pills? Unhappy with your body? Would encourage you to see a therapist who specializes in eating disorders. Depending on if you engage in unhealthy eating behaviors - you may need medical workup and eval by other professionals as well. Take care.
Dr. Andrew Berry
Clinical Psychology 14 years experience
Guilt/shame: Shame/guilt is just about the darkest emotion people can face. It presupposes that there's an audience to our alleged wrongdoings, and that devastating judgement will be passed. Something to remember is that everyone has something they feel ashamed about; it's inescapable. Find a reputable psychotherapist to speak with. Getting it off one's chest in a safe, nonjudgmental place is the first step.

90,000 U.S. doctors in 147 specialties are here to answer your questions or offer you advice, prescriptions, and more. Get help now:

Ask doctors free
Personalized answers
Talk to a doctor
24/7 visits
$15 per month

Similar questions

A 21-year-old member asked:

Drinking used to be fun, but now I feel guilty. What can I do?

2 doctor answers4 doctors weighed in
Dr. Joel Selter
Pediatric Allergy and Asthma 37 years experience
Doesn't like Etoh: Good. Is it possible that you found a wonderful spouse and don't need to seek alternative pleasures?
A 34-year-old member asked:

Why don't I get aroused anymore? I work long hard hours and take care of multiple family members and want just one guilty pleasure.

1 doctor answer4 doctors weighed in
Dr. Joseph Woods
Pathology 28 years experience
It depends.: This depends on the individual. This may be because of too much stress. It might be from a medical condition, like diabetes type ii, or low testosterone. This may need counseling, like with a psychiatrist or urologist. Self help and supervised group therapy can also help.
A 40-year-old member asked:

Stepkids want nothing to do with me. So how can I get over my shame and guilt?

4 doctor answers8 doctors weighed in
Dr. Vasu Brown
Integrative Medicine 34 years experience
Be happy: Your self-worth is not determined by others. It is ok to have people hate you. Love yourself completely and do not agree with hateful words just listen and be happy on your inside - keep your inner child protected. Be always truthful about how you feel eventually it will work out. It also happens with your/my own kids - not just step kids.
A 32-year-old member asked:

How do I get over this feeling of shame, regret that I get after I do anything to help others who don't appreciate it?

3 doctor answers9 doctors weighed in
Dr. Glen Elliott
Child Psychiatry 43 years experience
Therapy may help: It is unusual to feel shame when others don't "appreciate" help you've offered. If this is a longstanding pattern, it probably has roots from your childhood. Therapy to understand why this pattern repeats itself can lead to freeing you up either help folk who do appreciate it or accept that not everyone can accept what you have to offer.
A 36-year-old member asked:

How do I get over the guilt about over eating?

3 doctor answers11 doctors weighed in
Dr. Luis Villaplana
Internal Medicine 35 years experience
Medical care and adv: Ice through your doctor will help you get into counseling and specialized help. Good luck to you.

Related questions

A 41-year-old member asked:
1 doctor answer3 doctors weighed in
A 49-year-old member asked:
1 doctor answer3 doctors weighed in
A 39-year-old member asked:
2 doctor answers2 doctors weighed in
A 19-year-old female asked about a 13-year-old female:
2 doctor answers5 doctors weighed in

90,000 U.S. doctors in 147 specialties are here to answer your questions or offer you advice, prescriptions, and more. Get help now:

Ask doctors free
Personalized answers
Talk to a doctor
24/7 visits
$15 per month
Last updated May 26, 2016

People also asked

Connect with a U.S. board-certified doctor by text or video anytime, anywhere.
24/7 visits
$15 per month


Content on HealthTap (including answers) should not be used for medical advice, diagnosis, or treatment, and interactions on HealthTap do not create a doctor-patient relationship. Never disregard or delay professional medical advice in person because of anything on HealthTap. Call your doctor or 911 if you think you may have a medical emergency.