can taking anafranil (clomipramine) cause me to gain weight?

Yes: Increased appetite and weight gain can be associated with anafranil (clomipramine).
Dr. Robert Berkowitz
Yes: Weight gain can be a side effect of Anafranil (clomipramine) due to its effect on histamine and choline receptors. Other typical side effects include dry mouth, constipation, blurry vision, urinary retention and dizziness upon standing (also known as orthostatic hypotension). Sometimes, though, Anafranil (clomipramine) can be the best treatment available for your condition. Talk to your doctor.