U.S. doctors online nowAsk doctors free
A 29-year-old female asked:

What is the best thing to do if i have a 0.7 cm kidney stone? an operation or lithotripsy?

1 doctor answer2 doctors weighed in
Dr. Stephen Chinn
Urology 40 years experience
ESWL: Depends-if your stone is radiolucent (eg uric acid/cysteine) you could manage it medically and dissolve it. If radio-opaque/calcium in composition, while unlikely to "pass" intact, would be best managed with eswl as a minimally-invasive mono-therapy. (pcnl would be too invasive, except with significant anatomic variation (eg calyceal diverticulum/infundibular stenosis). Possible ureterorenoscopy?
Created for people with ongoing healthcare needs but benefits everyone.
Last updated Feb 3, 2023


Content on HealthTap (including answers) should not be used for medical advice, diagnosis, or treatment, and interactions on HealthTap do not create a doctor-patient relationship. Never disregard or delay professional medical advice in person because of anything on HealthTap. Call your doctor or 911 if you think you may have a medical emergency.