U.S. doctors online nowAsk doctors free
Madison, AL
A 25-year-old female asked:

Which type of specialist can test me for small cell lung cancer (the types of lung malignancy that cannot be seen on xray)?

2 doctor answers3 doctors weighed in
Dr. Robert Killian
General Practice 28 years experience
Pulmonologist: I think you may be misinformed. You do not have lung cancer. But, testing is best done in this situation with a pulmonologist.
Dr. John Munshower
Family Medicine 30 years experience
Pulmonary: If you have some cause or reason, symptoms that would in any way cause concern for a possible lung cancer, than a lung specialist (pulmonary dr.) would be able to diagnose a you accordingly, which may include a history and physical examination, possible testing including labs, x-rays, and possible diagnostic bronchoscopy.
Dr. Mark Soberman
Surgery - Thoracic 38 years experience
Whether or not a lung cancer can be seen on X-ray isn't related to the cell type. It's related to size and location of tumor.
Mar 16, 2014

90,000 U.S. doctors in 147 specialties are here to answer your questions or offer you advice, prescriptions, and more. Get help now:

Ask doctors free
Educational text
Talk to a doctor
24/7 visits - just $39!
50% off with $15/month membership
Last updated Mar 12, 2020


Content on HealthTap (including answers) should not be used for medical advice, diagnosis, or treatment, and interactions on HealthTap do not create a doctor-patient relationship. Never disregard or delay professional medical advice in person because of anything on HealthTap. Call your doctor or 911 if you think you may have a medical emergency.