Canada

why do some people have nice pink tongues and the tops of other people have a film of gunk on it? i brush my gunk off but it always comes back.

Dr. Gary Sandler
Dentistry 54 years experience
Tongue surface: Smoking, heavy coffee drinking, poor oral hygiene, and a host of medical conditions may be at play in your case. Start by consulting with a general dentist or an oral surgeon for a personal medical and dental history as well as a one on one clinical examination for some answers and advice.
Dr. Manami Yamaguchi
Dentistry 25 years experience
Health issue perhaps: The tongue can show systemic imbalances if a trained doctor examines carefully to find subtle signs. While a dentist can suggest a certain type of tongue brush or blade to effectively remove the plaque, a doctor who is trained in eastern medicine may be able to tell you more about your systemic health issue. When this (your systemic health) is treated, you may see your tongue appearance improves.