U.S. doctors online nowAsk doctors free
Columbia, SC
A 25-year-old female asked:

Hi, my left year got blocked. i assume its for ear wax...it happened when i woke up yesterday and it is still there..how can i get rid of it?

1 doctor answer1 doctor weighed in
Dr. Nathan Lilya
Family Medicine 10 years experience
Ear drops: There are many over the counter ear drops available. Most of them soften the wax, and some even have an ingredient that helps bubble the wax away from your eardrum (and out of your ear). Another cheap and easy way to soften the wax and get it out is stool softener liquid. Just put some in your ear, and let it sit for awhile each day. Eventually it will soften and fall out. Good luck!
Created for people with ongoing healthcare needs but benefits everyone.

Related questions

A 36-year-old member asked:
How do I get rid of ear wax in my child's ear after pe tubes were put in?
3 doctor answers13 doctors weighed in
A 16-year-old male asked:
How does sodium bicarbonate help get rid of ear wax?
1 doctor answer2 doctors weighed in
A 45-year-old member asked:
Hearing problems from ear wax excess? How to rid wax at home?
1 doctor answer2 doctors weighed in
Last updated Mar 12, 2014


Content on HealthTap (including answers) should not be used for medical advice, diagnosis, or treatment, and interactions on HealthTap do not create a doctor-patient relationship. Never disregard or delay professional medical advice in person because of anything on HealthTap. Call your doctor or 911 if you think you may have a medical emergency.