Richland, WA

I have dry eyes and take restasis for that and i had a big dose of rai for thyroid cancer can i take accutane to treat acne since it cause dry eyes to?

Dr. Jan Lei Iwata
Dr. Jan Lei Iwataanswered
Ophthalmology 27 years experience
Speak to your dr 1st: You are also taking doxycycline, cytomel, (liothyronine) levothyroxine, and before you add any more, do discuss this with your doctor, and eye specialist. So, you are all on board as to what is best to do. You are taking restasis, and Doxycycline that helps with dry eyes, but there are other side effects, and drug interactions with Accutane that you must go over before adding anything else to your regimen.
Dr. Richard Bensinger
Ophthalmology 53 years experience
Small risk: Accutane can cause conjunctival irritation and secondarily eye dryness. If your eyes are dry to begin with and you add the dryness of accutane, then your dryness can increase. At your age i would have expected acne to be attenuated but you certainly can try Accutane with an understanding of the risks.