is it normal to cough up blackish phlegm after you quit smoking?

Dr. Hatem Asad
Pulmonology 34 years experience
Blachish phlegm: Phlegm is a result of airway inflamation, which can be of variable color. It is also important to pay attention to the volume, consistancy, timing and associated symptoms such as wheezing and shortness of breath.In general, darker is assocaited with more inflamatory responce that usually lightens up as the condition improves, with the improvement of the other symptoms noted above.In conclusion yes.
Dr. Ronda Alexander
ENT and Head and Neck Surgery 19 years experience
Congratulations!: Quitting smoking was one of the most important things you can do for your health so i'm very excited for you. How long ago did you stop? If it was recently, your body may still be ridding itself of the many toxins and particles you were inhaling before. If it is lasting for more than a few weeks, please see your specialist in adult care- family medicine or internal medicine.