How long does augmention stay in your body after you stop taking it? also, during this time can you catch a cold?

4 doctors weighed in across 2 answers
Dr. James Cunnar answered

Specializes in Family Medicine

As long as u take it: Augmentin (amoxicillin and clavulanate) stays in your body for the amount of time you take it. Amoxicillin, the base medicine, does not have a long half life. Clavulanate, the additional component of augmentin (amoxicillin and clavulanate), (amoxicillin and clavulanate) helps with bacterial resistance. And yes, you can get a cold while taking augmentin (amoxicillin and clavulanate). Colds are caused by rhinovirus - antibiotics won't prevent you catching that, unfortunately.

Answered 6/19/2017

5.9k views

Dr. David Mann answered

Specializes in ENT and Head and Neck Surgery

Augmentin (amoxicillin and clavulanate): A trace of Augmentin (amoxicillin and clavulanate) will remain in your body for a few days (less than a week). Side effects like diarrhea usually clear up in 2-3 days after stopping. If you have persistent diarrhea, a seroius complication called pseudomembranous colitis can occur. Go see your doctor. Also, antibiotics do not kill vituses therefore one can get a cold during antibiotic treatment.

Answered 6/5/2016

5.9k views