Is it true that .05 xanax (alprazolam) is eqivalant to 10mg valium? that's what my gp told me

Dr. James Wells
Xanax (alprazolam) has short effect: Your gp is probably about right in terms of the immediate effects of xanax (alprazolam) versus valium, but the two are quite different in terms of how long effects last. In my opinion, valium is a much safer medication than xanax (alprazolam), because it stays acts for much longer and gradually tapers. Withdrawal symptoms, on the other hand, can occur within three or four hour of having taken a dose of xanax (alprazolam). If on xanax (alprazolam) for a long time, it has to be tapered very slowly even if valium is being taken at the same time.
Dr. Brian Lynch
Benzo's: There are many statements like this. I tend not to take them too seriously each drug is quite different. Valium lasts a lot longer in your bloodstream and has a deeper calming effect. Xanax (alprazolam) is quick acting ;comes and goes quickly .So i really think you're comparing apples and oranges especially since there is a great subjective component to taking these drugs.

Last updated Jul 6, 2015