White Lake, WI

how long for celiac test results after biopsy.

Dr. Charles Cattano
Gastroenterology 39 years experience
Depends on lab, but: Celiac disease often presents in the small bowel as "patchy" so biopsies of only one area may not be representative. Also, if you have celiac disease but eliminated gluten long enough for classic villous blunting changes in the small bowel to have resolved, then biopsies will look normal ; the disease may be missed. Talk to your doctor about definitive diagnostic criteria for your piece-of-mind.
Dr. Ira Rubin
Dr. Ira Rubin answered
Biopsy result: Depends on how busy a lab is but in general one to two weeks.
Dr. Joram Seggev
Specializes in Allergy and Immunology
Not by colonoscopy: The diagnosis of celiac disease is made by biopsy of the duodenum, the first part of the small bowel. That part is reached by egd (esophago-gastro-duodenoscopy), an examination with a tube through the mouth. Suggestive evidence is also with special blood tests. Colonoscopy is examination of the large intestine (colon). Neither that nor ct make the diagnosis of celiac disease.