Bridgewater, NJ

Dx bronchtis 3 weeks ago, then ear/throat infect. 10 days ago. today diagnosis sinus infect abscess left side of throat new antibiotic. low fever, neck hurts?

Dr. Foster Carr
General Practice 33 years experience
Pharyngeal abscess?: Some pharyngeal and parapharyngeal abcesses require surgical drainage for adequate clearing. Was a culture performed prior to switching ? Your response to treatment depends on the sensitivity of the particular infectious agent to your chosen antibiotic. It is also possible that you have a combination of virus and bacterial infection which is complicating your recovery. Follow up with your doc.
Dr. Foster Carr
Dr. Foster Carr commented
General Practice 33 years experience
Provided original answer
I cannot provide direct advice. In general an ENT specialist is best to handle a pharyngeal abscess. However I do not know the data in your case to say for sure that you have the type of abscess that needs to be drained.
Apr 9, 2012

Last updated Apr 4, 2016