U.S. doctors online nowAsk doctors free
Greenville, TX
A 37-year-old female asked:

If the doctor found blood in urine, but the urine culture was normal, would you rule out bladder infection and uti?

1 doctor answer2 doctors weighed in
Dr. Jack Rubin
Nephrology and Dialysis 50 years experience
Hematuria: You need to see a urologist (u). Hematuria (h) is a symptom, not a diagnosis. It could be coming from your kidney, or bladder. You need to have various tests to diagnose the cause. A renal ultrasound, an intravenous pyelogram and if these do not give you the cause, a cystoscopy where the urologist looks at your bladder. If the u finds no cause for the h, see a nephrologist as you may have a gn.
Created for people with ongoing healthcare needs but benefits everyone.
Last updated Feb 11, 2022


Content on HealthTap (including answers) should not be used for medical advice, diagnosis, or treatment, and interactions on HealthTap do not create a doctor-patient relationship. Never disregard or delay professional medical advice in person because of anything on HealthTap. Call your doctor or 911 if you think you may have a medical emergency.