my 5 months old baby girl is having cold and a bad cough does can i give her dimetapp she is about 6.5kg?

2 doctor answers
Dr. Justin Rich
18 years experience Pediatrics
No Dimetapp for baby: Dimetapp is not likely to help and could be dangerous to a child that young. The us food and drug administration recommends against the use of over-the-counter cold medicines for kids under 6 years old. If you're concerned about your child's symptoms it may be wise to ask your doctor what things you can do to help her.
Answered on Mar 29, 2018
2
46 years experience Pediatrics
Bad selection: These preparations were once used commonly and even prescribed.They contain antihistamines and decongestants.Unfortunately they thicken secretions making it harder for infants to cough out accumulated mucous, and have not real benefit.Their only plus was giving parents something to do. It is best to remove irritants from baby's environment.(Smoke/fragrance)Saline nose wash helps the most.
Answered on Nov 22, 2016