Luzerne, PA

3 years go=broken ankle & screwes sprained my akle playing tennis in auguet and it's still swollen. had me in a cast. is this normal?

Dr. Steven Bernstein
Orthopedic Foot and Ankle Surgery 32 years experience
Broken ankle: Sounds like you need to see an ankle specialist. You should not be swollen at this point. You may need the hardware removed as well as repair of your ankle ligaments.
Dr. Payam Rafat
Podiatry 22 years experience
Immobilization.: Being placed in a cast is a good option used to insure immobilization.
Dr. Ki-Hon Lin
Orthopedic Surgery 25 years experience
Possibly: I think you're saying you had screws placed for a broken ankle 3 years ago, and now you've sprained your ankle last august and it's still swollen. I actually warn my patients that after bad ankle injuries (in your case, 2 of them), the swelling may actually never go away, but as long as your ankle is functional and painless and strong, i would not worry about some persistent swelling.

Last updated May 18, 2017