how useful is glucosamine-chondroitin-msm in treating joint pains?

3 doctor answers
Dr. Ahmad M Hadied
48 years experience Orthopedic Surgery
I am not sure: The theory behind using the glucosamine and chondroitin joint supplements is that more of the cartilage building blocks will be available for cartilage repair.Some study shows less pain in the joint, like when people take Motrin but real evidence of cartilage repair. Thank you.
Answered on Sep 19, 2014
4
Dr. John Goldman
54 years experience Rheumatology
Some feel it helps: Some of the studies suggest it may help while others do not. In the appropriate patient who wants to take it, i tell them it may or make not help. I have no reason to proactively recommend. There can be side effects: nausea, diarrhea or constipation, indigestion, upset stomach, soft stools, heart burn, the diabetic patient may have a risk of increased glucose (sugar).
Answered on Jun 16, 2013
2
Dr. Peter Nefcy
38 years experience Radiology
Not useful: There is no good evidence that these supplements do anything. Save your money and go to the gym to exercise regularly.
Answered on Nov 26, 2015
1
Dr. Rick Pospisil
Specializes in Orthopedic Surgery
In the Time of evidenced based medicine, there are no current we'll run double, blind studies of large numbers supporting glucosamine, However as a busy orthopaedist , l have found that it is helpful for a majority of my patients with joint pain
Nov 26, 2015