Can you tell me about experiencing post op paresthesia (numbness) for an extensive time after dental treatment?

Dr. Jeffrey Bassman
Dentistry 47 years experience
Prolonged numbness: Sometimes a tooth can be extracted, and if the roots are close to the nerve- often in the imandible, the (inferior alveolar nerve) can be irritated, injuried, torn and the effects are a prolonged numbness that can be permanent, but often is temporary. This can happen with other extractions also. This is often discussed as a potential risk of extractions. Can also be caused by infection, cysts, .
Created for people with ongoing healthcare needs but benefits everyone.