do obs still use forceps? what for?

Dr. Valentin Drezaliu
Yes: It is used to deliver the babies that are almost out(the head is in vagina, yet cannot come out when the mother is pushing. Sometimes if baby heart rate is really low this procedure can expedite the delivery and save the baby from hypoxia. It is a true art, so you need to really know what you are doing.
Dr. Miguel Cano
To Save Your Baby: I've performed forceps deliveries in emergencies where a c-sec would have taken too long & waiting placed the infant at significant risk for brain injury. It is an excellent tool but fraught with danger if your doc is inexperienced or untrained. I totally agree with dr. Drezaliu. Unfortunately i don't believe forcep deliveries are taught any more. I couldn't even find a pic with proper technique.

Last updated Jan 10, 2015