could depression leads to epilepsy?

Dr. Lynne Weixel
Clinical Psychology 36 years experience
More replies welcome: I cannot see any way that depression - even major depression - can lead to epilepsy. I can see how epilepsy can lead to depression.
I am not: aware of clinical depression being a cause for a seizure disorder.
Dr. William Conte
Specializes in Neurology
Nonepileptc seizures: Depression will not lead to true epilepsy, which causes seizures due to abnormal electrical discharges in the brain. But there is a phenomenon of nonepileptic seizures that can sometimes look like seizures, but is not due to frank electrical discharges but rather a manifestation of psychiatric diseases (usually a stress response but sometimes due to depression).