Some cousins live in tornado alley. what can they do to reassure their kids they will be ok while taking shelter during tornado warning?

9 doctors weighed in across 4 answers

Safety /tornado: I would get a kids book a read about tornado's and how to provide safe havens during an event, then i would practice the steps needed to be taken during such an emergency a few times per year to provide reassurance to the kids.(just like we do fire drills in school) after awhile it becomes second nature. Good luck.

Answered 5/7/2013

5.9k views

Face this together: This is a little too close today. However, the thing that I do to reassure my family during tornadoes is to tell them that no matter what we are going to face the bad weather together. We are stronger as a family than we are individually. Then, we talk, laugh, sing, (and pray) together listening to weather reports until it is safe to come out.

Answered 12/22/2014

5.9k views

Set a calm example: Kids only display behavior they witness, so act calm and don't make a big fuss and they will mirror your response to stress.

Answered 6/16/2012

5.9k views

Dr. Josephine Ruiz-healy answered

Specializes in Pediatrics

Have a routine: Have "practice runs" to the shelter so it is more routine and "matter of fact" for the kids. Also have them have a favorite toy and games down there so it is not so intimidating.

Answered 4/30/2016

5.9k views