Corpus Christi, TX

my dad has been hospitalized with varices due to cirrhosis. his liver is partially dead liver. we don't know %age. what can we expect at this point?

Pathology 44 years experience
He's bought time: I'm glad that you are there for dad, whatever may have been the cause of his cirrhosis. Variceal bleeding has a much better prognosis than in the past, and even us old-time pathologists now recognize that cirrhosis itself often partly reverses if the underlying cause can be found and treated. There are no guarantees, but perhaps this is a turning-point on a road to a much better life.
Dr. James Isobe
Phlebology 54 years experience
May worsen: Varices can bleed and that is probably why he was hospitalized. Cirrhosis can result in mental confusion especially when protein intake exceeds what the liver can process. The cause of cirrhosis: alcohol, hepatitis, etc. Will impact on outcome. There are procedures like tips which can be performed to decrease variceal bleeding. Best to see gastroenterologist, GI surgeon for workup and advise.