can you tell me about laparoscopic anti-reflux surgery for heartburn/hiatal hernia?

Dr. David Earle
General Surgery 31 years experience
Yes: There are several options, and they should be performed when the reflux is truly a disease manifest by organ damage or unacceptable lifestyle modifications. There are also some endoscopic procedures. See a general or thoracic surgeon experienced in anti-reflux procedures for a thorough consultation. Hope this helps!
Dr. Robert Stachler
ENT and Head and Neck Surgery 31 years experience
I agree. Nicely done.
Dec 26, 2013
Dr. Emil Shakov
Aesthetic Medicine 17 years experience
Yes: For hiatal hernia, the stomach is brought back into the abdomen and the defect of the crus muscles around the esophagus are brought together and possible mesh reinforcement. For just reflux without the hernia, the stomach is wrapped around itself called a fundoplication. Best part is the symptoms are gone almost immediately.