is there something wrong with me if i keep having thoughts of torture and murder?

If you enjoy the : Thoughts you may be somewhat sadistic. If the thoughts are upsetting to you - it may be part of an obsessive compulsive disorder. There are other possible reasons as well. Have you considered getting a psychiatric evaluation to have this checked out?
Dr. Pamela Pappas
Torture, etc: I agree with dr. Fowler that psychiatric assessment may help answer your question. Having such thoughts recurrently probably does indicate imbalance towards pain and suffering, and a need for help. I'll also say that as a homeopathic psychiatrist i've seen many people who have such thoughts -- and they may be part of complex illnesses which can be helped. Some of these are survivors of abuse.
Pathology 44 years experience
The banality of evil: My two favorite psychiatrists have given good counsel. As a pathologist very familiar with violence and homicide, the phrase from the eichmann trial almost always comes to mind. Today, an 18 year old kid has seen thousands of murders and other violent acts in the media. This year, why not resolve to remove this kind of thing from your milieu and your thoughts and be a true man of peace ; love?
Dr. Pamela Pappas
Kind of you to "like" us, Dr. Friedlander! :-) I know you've seen more than your share of violence & homicide. Yet I don't know that today's kids are required to follow violence and "evil" like some military officers in Nazi Germany were. In those days the "or else" was surely death, and possibly torture beforehand. I hope this individual is able to take your advice. Our world is often scary.
Jan 2, 2014

Last updated Sep 28, 2016