My psychiatrist yelled at me. is it time to get another one?

9 doctors weighed in across 3 answers
Dr. Glen Elliott answered

Specializes in Child Psychiatry

Possibly: It really depends on your existing relationship with the psychiatrist and the circumstances. Yelling certainly is not a recommended psychiatric treatment, but doctors sometimes do have bad days. You might start with sharing how the yelling made you feel and hear what the doctor has to say. If this is a pattern of abusive behavior, report the act to the state board and find another therapist.

Answered 4/14/2016

5.8k views

Dr. Heidi Fowler answered

Specializes in Psychiatry

There are number of : Types of therapeutic interventions. Was the psychiatrist trying to make a point? Was the psychiatrist concerned about your welfare ; safety? Was this a provider who was being unprofessional? I can't answer any of these questions for you - so i don't know. Since i don't know the context of the situation i can't in good conscience tell you what to do. I can tell you that when i push patient's it.

Answered 1/29/2016

4.6k views

Dr. Robert Killian answered

Specializes in General Practice

Relationships: Sometimes our perceptions can be limited when it comes to the powerful relationships in our lives. The relationship between patient and physician can be one of these and that may include some stressful and intense interactions. I would caution you to review a few things: is this relationship helping me? Was this physician expressing concern for my well being? Am i doing anything dangerous?

Answered 12/27/2013

4.6k views