mn

My 10 day old baby has mucous like stools. some with blood in it. it was suggested to remove dairy from my diet and supplement with formula for a day or two. when do i see improvement in stools?

Dr. Shah Chowdhury
Blood in Stool: Breast fed babies can have mucosy, seedy stools; it is normal. Blood in the stool needs confirmation. Swallowed blood from breast can cause darker bloody stools. Baby's stool needs to be tested- hemoccult test to see whether it is blood. Female child can have vaginal bleeding (withdrawl bleeding like menses, which is normal), can be confused as blood in stool. You should see improvement in 3-5 d.
Dr. Cornelia Franz
Specializes in Pediatrics
Within a week: It is common for newborns to have milk protein intolerance and to have bloody stools after ingesting milk...Either by breast milk or a cow milk based formula. Hopefully the formula suggested is nutramigen or alimentum. Usually within a week you will see improvement.

Last updated Jan 31, 2015