IL

i was diagnosed w/pinworm, about 10 days ago i took my first dose of albenza (albendazole). it still itches sometime but doesn't hurt to pew anymore. is this normal?

Dr. Keith Ramsey
Adolescent Medicine 36 years experience
Need 2nd dose: You should take a second dose 7 days after the first dose to kill newly hatched. Take the second dose as soon as you can for a complete treatment.
Common finding: The itching is causes by your bodies sensitivity to the glue like material the eggs are laid in by the fertile female. The itching is similar to that of poison ivy and can be handled by a mild steroid cream or washing the area with a cold rag. Persistence of the itching can be related to the first infestation or a recurrence. Retreatment a week or so after initial dosing is my normal practice.

Last updated Sep 2, 2017