i have a case of poison oak on my face. should i take prednisone pills or use just creams?

Dr. Gary Steven
Pediatric Allergy and Asthma 30 years experience
Depends on severity: Prednisone and the more potent steroid creams need to be prescribed by your doctor, anyway; have your doctor evaluate your rash and follow the advice with regard to how aggressively it should be treated.
Dr. Michael P Vaughn
Allergy and Immunology 34 years experience
topical steroid are typically ineffective for poison ivy/ poison oak. Go with oral alternatives
Mar 31, 2012
Dr. Ted King
Can use either: As dr. Steven said, it depends on how widespread it is. If it is only a few spots, a cream is fine. If you use a cream on the face, you have to be careful not to use it too long, especially if it is a high potency cream.
Dr. Eric L. Weiss
Travel Medicine 37 years experience
Probably pills: For more severe poison oak contact dermatitis even prescription strength steroid creams are not sufficiently effective. I recommend fairly aggressive use of Prednisone to get symptoms under control, and continue therapy for at least 7 to 10 days (as taper) to avoid rash recurrence.
Dr. Ralph Morgan Lewis
If you're diabetic, be aware that your sugars may be elevated while you're on the steroid; your doc may want to adjust your meds accordingly
Apr 16, 2012
Dr. Ted King
A Verified Doctor commented
A US doctor answered Learn more
Excellent point.
Apr 16, 2012