Will mederma really work on scars?

Dr. Jorge De la Pedraja
Plastic Surgery 29 years experience
It may: Mederma is made from onion extract and that has been shown to improve the appearance of scars. Silicone, pressure, and steroids have also been shown to help. Avoid sun exposure.
Dr. Mark Burke
Surgery - Plastics 20 years experience
No: Mederma and the majority of topical treatment for scars have been shown to have no improvement on normal wound healing, (but it won't hurt.) vitamin e and massage have some very week evidence of benefit. Protection from the sun is the thing that has shown the most benefit- use and reapply good sunblock during the first year of healing.
Dr. Otto Placik
Dr. Otto Placik commented
Surgery - Plastics 35 years experience
I agree wholeheartedly. The active ingredient is allium cepa. There is weak science suggesting its benefits by the E council in Germany. You can purchase this for much less if desired
Dec 15, 2013
Dr. Otto Placik
Surgery - Plastics 35 years experience
Not a fan of Mederma: I do not recommend mederma as I have not seen the benefits of treatment. It needs to be applied 4 times a day which is not practical for the typical individual. Furthermore the true science is lacking.