A 21-year-old female asked:

I have cornea ulcer in my eye caused by pseudonomas. it left a scar on my cornea and i will have permanent blurred vision. what can i do to restore it?

2 doctor answers3 doctors weighed in
Dr. Richard Bensinger
Ophthalmology 54 years experience
Several options: I assume the infection was only on the surface so the interior of the eye is normal. Corneal scars can be dealt with in several ways. If the scarring is very superficial, a laser procedure called prk can remove this leaving the rest of the layers clear. If the scar is deeper, then a corneal transplantation can be done, removing the scar and putting on a donor. Discuss with a corneal specialist.
Created for people with ongoing healthcare needs but benefits everyone.
Dr. David Bui
Ophthalmology 27 years experience
Surgery: If your scar is superficial, ptk (phototherapeutic keratotomy) may be an option especially if you are highly myopic. This is the same laser that is used in lasik. If your scar extends deeper into the cornea, you probably would need a cornea transplant. If the infection is recent, your doctor might prescribe you a mild steroid eye drop to lessen the scar.
Created for people with ongoing healthcare needs but benefits everyone.
Last updated Jun 8, 2018


Content on HealthTap (including answers) should not be used for medical advice, diagnosis, or treatment, and interactions on HealthTap do not create a doctor-patient relationship. Never disregard or delay professional medical advice in person because of anything on HealthTap. Call your doctor or 911 if you think you may have a medical emergency.