U.S. doctors online nowAsk doctors free
Houston, TX
A 47-year-old male asked:

My wife has a swollen growth at the side of tongue what could be responsible and what can cure it? regards and thanks in advance

3 doctor answers8 doctors weighed in
Dr. Theodore Davantzis
Dentistry 41 years experience
Oral surgeon: Your wife needs to have the growth evaluated. It may be nothing serious, but it can be, too. Smoker? Drinker? All factor into equation. Please call asap for appointment, even if there is no pain. The longer you wait, the more tissue will need to be removed if it has to be excised.
Dr. Joel Doyon
Dentistry - Cosmetic 37 years experience
See oral surgeon: It's hard to tell what is going on without seeing where it is, what it looks like, etc. I recommend seeing an oral surgeon and possible having a biopsy of the tongue.
Dr. Arnold Malerman
Orthodontics 54 years experience
Growth: The rule of thumb is that all pain and/or bleeding and/or swelling requires immediate evaluation. Benign oral lesions generally completely heal in 2 weeks or less. If growth has been there more than 14 days it must be examined to determine cause and thus appropriate treatment. Suggest a specialist Oral Surgeon, now.

Related questions

A 45-year-old member asked:
1 doctor answer2 doctors weighed in
A 42-year-old member asked:
2 doctor answers5 doctors weighed in
A 32-year-old member asked:
2 doctor answers2 doctors weighed in
A 36-year-old female asked:
2 doctor answers5 doctors weighed in
Last updated Aug 23, 2020


Content on HealthTap (including answers) should not be used for medical advice, diagnosis, or treatment, and interactions on HealthTap do not create a doctor-patient relationship. Never disregard or delay professional medical advice in person because of anything on HealthTap. Call your doctor or 911 if you think you may have a medical emergency.