can i take tylenol cold, head congestion, severe, while breast-feeding? you most likely know this but it has acetaminophen in it.

Dr. Grace Akoh-Arrey
Pharmacology 16 years experience
With Caution: If you must use this product, do so at the end of a breast feeding session. One of the meds in this combo phenylephrine(can get into breast milk), but it last in the system for ~2-3 hours, so you can breastfeed 4 hours after a dose, thus limiting the amount that gets to your baby.You can also use saline nasal spray/cold mist humidifier to help congestion.Use plain tylenol (acetaminophen) for headache. Take care.
Yes: This is considered safe during breast feeding. It has a decongestant and antihistamine, both of which can sometimes diminish volume slightly, but does not bother most. The Acetaminophen is the least problematic of the components.