Brooklyn, NY

I had a stool test that included pancreatic elastase 1 test, it came back low at 102 vs 201 mcg/g normal. i have crohn's. is this normally associated? how can this be tested further and treated?

Dr. J. Lawrence Dohan
Dermatology 58 years experience
Possible pancreatic : Possible pancreatic insufficiency. Your gastroenterologist will use this as part of your overall evaluation.
Dr. Greg Hinson
Pancreas: The test is meant to test for exocrine pancreatic insufficiency and, with that result, would mean that you have this. You need enzymes from the pancreas to properly digest food. The most common cause would be chronic pancreatitis and it is not related to crohn's. If i were you, i would ask my dr. Why this test was ordered, what the thought process was in ordering it, and what is next.

Last updated Nov 4, 2013