Portsmouth, VA

I have sciatica in my lower back down both legsi and 2 bulging discjust started having symptoms of me not being able to urinate what do i need to do?

Dr. Chukwuka Okafor
Orthopedic Spine Surgery 16 years experience
Well you should take: It seriously and go to the emergency room to rule out cauda equina with a mri, especially if you having numbness in your buttocks. A disc bulge cannot cause cauda equina syndrome. So this is based on my assumption that you have a huge herniated/extruded disc. If you simply have a disc bulge, then you should not really be having any symptoms from it. It is something that everyone your age has.
Dr. Qamar Khan
Pain Management 17 years experience
Cauda Equina: Inability to urinate is an emergency. I would make sure you don't have what is called cauda equina syndrome. Unfortunately this requires surgery to correct. Ofetn times the nerves are just bruised abit and the signals aren't being sent quick enough, you may need an epidural steroid injection to relieve this irritation. Either way, i would see a pain/spine specialist to evaluate your options.

Last updated Jan 4, 2014