Why does cancer spread so fast after surgery?

Dr. Hung Khong
26 years experience in Medical Oncology
This is a Myth: There is no scientific data to support the notion that cancer spreads fast after surgery (or when cancer is exposed to air during surgery). This is a total myth. This belief tends to be more common in the south.
Answered on Jun 16, 2019
2
2 comments
Dr. Carlos Encarnacion
34 years experience in Medical Oncology
I agree with the first statement but not with the second. I've seen dozens of patients from all parts of the US and even other countries who hold to that same belief. Then again, what do I know? After all, I live in the South....
Oct 23, 2013
Dr. Hung Khong
Dr. Hung Khong commented
26 years experience in Medical Oncology
Provided original answer
Thanks for the comments. I have heard it in many places but to me it seems to be more common in the South. (I have lived in California, Texas, Pennsylvania, Maryland/DC area, Alabama and Utah).
Oct 28, 2013