When does teeth stop growing?

8 doctors weighed in across 5 answers
Dr. Felicia Mata answered

Specializes in Cosmetic Dentistry

Completed root: Formation can be an indication that the tooth has already achieved it's timely eruption. Technically, in a situation where a tooth was extracted and not replaced, the opposing tooth will supra-erupt and the neighboring teeth can drift in the space. Attrition is also compensated in the same fashion. Teeth moves and it appears that it continues to grow in a way.

Answered 10/18/2013

4.8k views

Dr. William Coppola answered

Specializes in Pediatric Dentistry

Esentially never: Teeth are not static, they are dynamic. What keeps them together in the same place is opposing teeth whether uppers to lowers or back teeth to front teeth. When a tooth is lost prematurely it should be replaced with a bridge, implant etc. Or in the baby teeth, a space maintainer, .

Answered 10/28/2013

4.8k views

Dr. Ronald Hsu answered

Specializes in Pediatric Dentistry

Run til tackled: In some ways teeth never stops growing. Teeth "stop" when they encounter resistance, typically. So as we age and wear down our teeth, they "grow" a little more to match the new bite. The amount is imperceptibly little from year to year, but for most people, differences can be observed decade to decade. For heavy grinders you can see the difference much sooner.

Answered 12/5/2015

1.9k views

Dr. Paul Grin answered

Specializes in Pain Management

17 to 25 years old: Once your adult teeth have erupted and your bones have finished growing, your teeth stop growing completely when they're between 17 to 25 years old.

Answered 12/15/2019

1.9k views

Dr. Arnold Malerman answered

Specializes in Orthodontics

Resistance: Teeth stop growing when they encounter resistance to eruption, essentially when they come in contact with teeth in the opposing arch. Teeth will continue to reposition, to erupt, to compensate for alteration in opposing forces. They will also shift dramatically (not truly growth) to compensate for occlusal disharmonies. Have your occlusion evaluated by Dentist or Orthodontist.

Answered 12/6/2015

1.9k views