what kind of meds can a psychiatrist prescribe for social anxiety disorder to help me out?

2 doctor answers
Dr. TRUC DAO
Dr. TRUC DAO answered
37 years experience Psychiatry
Treatment 4 soc anx: Ssri as prozac, paxil, (paroxetine) zoloft, xelexa... Can be used a single agent or combined with one or more other meds depending on gravity of anxiety. Ideally, psychotherapy should always be done along with meds. The cause of anxiety must be dealt with, if found, to treat to the root of the cause to allow resolution of the problem. Need perseverance and good motivation to be successful.
Answered on May 7, 2016
1
Dr. Donald Jacobson
A Verified Doctor commented
A US doctor answered Learn more
Social anxiety disorder has an average age of onset of 13 years of age and effects 13 % of the population. It is highly genetic in cause, therefor exploratory therapy is only likely to help if the particular symptom has a traumatic cause. Cognitive- behavioral and exposure therapy are the most effective non- medicinal therapies.
Aug 11, 2013
Dr. Donald Jacobson
A Verified Doctor answered
A US doctor answered Learn more
Antidepressants or: The most common ones for social anxiety are Paxil (paroxetine) , but i prefer pexeva, zoloft, effwxor xr or er. Or Luvox cr. Among the benzodiazepine drugs, Klonopin shows the best results . Don't forget therapy.
Answered on Nov 28, 2017