Top answers from doctors based on your search:
Disclaimer

my child swallowed ink from a pen

A 19-year-old male asked:
Dr. James Ferguson
45 years experience Pediatrics
Not really: Black ink is composed of carbon plus a variety of binding agents. It is considered minimally toxic but may cause stomach irritation if ingested. For f ... Read More

90,000 U.S. doctors in 147 specialties are here to answer your questions or offer you advice, prescriptions, and more. Get help now:

Ask doctors free
Personalized answers
Free
Talk to a doctor
Unlimited visits
$10/month
A 38-year-old member asked:
Dr. Ronald Krauser
51 years experience Rheumatology
See details: How much ink did you swallow and how is it possible to do it by accident? A small amount, do not worry. A larger amount, speak with your doctor or you ... Read More
A 23-year-old female asked:
Dr. Orrin Ailloni-Charas
28 years experience Anesthesiology
Go to the : Emergency room. Your child is at risk for serious complications if the glass has any sharp edges.
Dr. (Liz)Phuong Tran
34 years experience Family Medicine
Emergency room: I would take your child to er immediately because glass can cause bleeding in the esophagus or stomach as it travels down.
1
1 thank
Dr. Richard Tholen
40 years experience Plastic Surgery
Depends.: If the glass was a piece of broken glass and large, you may want to see a pediatrician for advice about this. A glass marble, however, is probably not ... Read More
1
1 comment
1
1 thank
A 28-year-old female asked:
Dr. Michael Bruck
27 years experience Pediatrics
Probably no worry: If he didnt choke on it and he just swallowed it than it should just pass without worry.
3
3 thanks
A 30-year-old member asked:
Dr. James Ferguson
45 years experience Pediatrics
Depends: If it goes into his stomach it will pass easily in the stool with no problems. If it were to end up in his airway, it would cause continuous coughing ... Read More
A 30-year-old member asked:
Dr. Robin Larabee
25 years experience Pediatrics
Yes: But you may have missed it in the child's stool. An xray is the only way to be sure, however most coins will pass on their own. Ask your doctor if a ... Read More
A 45-year-old member asked:
Dr. Jay Park
Dr. Jay Park answered
49 years experience Pediatrics
24-36 hours: Amazingly, children pass most of the foreign bodies uneventfully.
2
2 thanks
A 40-year-old member asked:
Dr. Alan Levine
33 years experience Pediatrics
Probably nothing: If it were a single magnetic ball, it would pass "in the end." the real problem might occur if one or more such balls were swallowed. They could stick ... Read More
2
2 comments
3
3 thanks
A 49-year-old member asked:
Dr. Tim Conrad
33 years experience Ophthalmology
Very little: Alrex (loteprednol) is a steroid. A small quantity of this taken orally is unlikely to be harmful.
A 42-year-old member asked:
Dr. James Ferguson
45 years experience Pediatrics
Nothing specific: It will pass through the system as an undigestable piece of debris. The myths your mother told you about this are just that, a myth.

90,000 U.S. doctors in 147 specialties are here to answer your questions or offer you advice, prescriptions, and more. Get help now:

Ask doctors free
Personalized answers
Free
Talk to a doctor
Unlimited visits
$10/month