Top answers from doctors based on your search:

how to treat swollen salivary glands

A 64-year-old female asked:
Dr. Gary Sandler
53 years experience Dentistry
Why?: I am not sure that i understand your question or why you are asking it. There are many salivary glands in your head and mouth, both large and small. ... Read More

90,000 U.S. doctors in 147 specialties are here to answer your questions or offer you advice, prescriptions, and more. Get help now:

Ask doctors free
Personalized answers
Talk to a doctor
Unlimited visits
A 45-year-old member asked:
Dr. Sherly Alex
17 years experience Dentistry
Check it out first..: I would highly recommend that you have it examined. You want to rule out stones, infection, cysts, and other salivary diseases. Proper diagnosis and p ... Read More
A 43-year-old member asked:
Dr. Alexander Gorup
28 years experience ENT and Head and Neck Surgery
Not likley: The two two are likely unrelated.
A 46-year-old member asked:
Dr. Charles Lockhart
8 years experience Dentistry
Medical/dental visit: You need a diagnosis as to why they are swollen before determining how to reduce the swelling.
A 42-year-old member asked:
Dr. Daniel Quon
41 years experience Oral and Maxillofacial Surgery
Treat the cause: The parotid gland is one of the major salivary glands and swelling of the glands can be from a number of causes. You need to have a thorough evaluati ... Read More
A 41-year-old female asked:
Dr. Michael Amster
Specializes in Pediatrics
Get checked: There aren't really any glands in the nose. Most people call lymph nodes "glands", but you also don't have any of those in the nose. If there is somet ... Read More
A 48-year-old member asked:
Dr. Sewa Legha
49 years experience Medical Oncology
Need to first make d: First you need to have your doctor make the diagnosis of what is the cause of enlarged nodes. This will need further testing. The treatment will be gu ... Read More
A 38-year-old member asked:
Dr. Alan Jackson
29 years experience Addiction Medicine
Usually: Due to allergies. Try allergy medication either by mouth or eye drops.
A 40-year-old member asked:
Dr. Brijesh Chandwani
10 years experience Pain Management
Oral Pathology : Consult an oral pathologist for the right diagnosis and treatment. Salivary gland do not hurt usually and there could be a underlying medical conditi ... Read More
1 thank
A 44-year-old member asked:
Dr. Raymundo Romero
21 years experience Medical Oncology
SEE YOUR DOCTOR: First step see your doctor, after an exam and labs he then will advise you on best treatment and follow up. With out this evaluation you don't know wh ... Read More
6 thanks
A 29-year-old female asked:
Dr. John Thaler
40 years experience Prosthodontics
Oral Surgeon: See the Oral Surgeon. Typically the duct will be tested for patency simply by getting the area dry and either seeing if it releases fluid on its own o ... Read More
A 43-year-old member asked:
Dr. Ronda Alexander
18 years experience ENT and Head and Neck Surgery
Stones...masses: Inflammatory processes inside the parotid gland can cause pain. This can be from a stone/sludge blocking the drainage system or from a lump in the gl ... Read More
1 thank
A 40-year-old member asked:
Dr. Brian Lawenda
23 years experience Radiation Oncology
Surgery: Salivary gland tumors are typically treated with surgery. This can entail removing the gland and possibly lymph nodes in the area. Depending on the ex ... Read More
A 51-year-old member asked:
Dr. John Comisi
37 years experience Dentistry
See your doctor: The answer for you is to be seen by your doctor so that he/she can determine why you have enlarged glands, and what is the best course of action to ta ... Read More
3 thanks
A 56-year-old member asked:
Dr. Abraham Jaskiel
21 years experience Dentistry
Parotid gland: It can be blocked duct and is building up, which can cause pressure. See an oral surgeon for an exam.
A 50-year-old member asked:
Dr. Mrugesh Dalal
Specializes in Dentistry
Not usually.: Over eating combined with a very poor oral hygiene, infected gums,or oral infections,throat infections,ear infections, which can be passed on through ... Read More
1 thank
A 19-year-old member asked:
Dr. Richard Zimon
58 years experience Internal Medicine
MILK OF MAGNESIA (magnesium hydroxide): A little known but great tip about treating a canker sore is using MILK OF MAGNESIA (magnesium hydroxide) in small amounts applied with a Q TIP to the ... Read More
1 thank
A 33-year-old female asked:
Dr. Susan Hoffman
27 years experience Pediatrics
Don't pick!: The first answer to care of swollen, sore pimples is to not pick or manipulate them in any way. Keep them clean and dry. You may apply an over the c ... Read More
1 thank
A 40-year-old member asked:
Dr. Michael Miller
35 years experience Wound care
Monitoring Centers: The lymphatic system absorbs/carries things too big to go into the arteries/veins like bacteria eaten by white cells and digested food. Lymph nodes " ... Read More
A 42-year-old member asked:
Dr. Larry Lutwick
48 years experience Infectious Disease
Dehydration.: Although viral parotitis may be related to bloodstream spread of mumps or other viruses, bacterial parotitis generally occurs in patients who get dehy ... Read More
1 thank
A 37-year-old member asked:
Dr. Yash Khanna
56 years experience Family Medicine
NOT RELATED: Swollen glands are not related to head injury head injury can not cause swollen glands, if you have swollen glands you should see your doctor to find ... Read More
1 thank
A 53-year-old member asked:
Dr. Stuart Hickerson
31 years experience Family Medicine
Inflammation: Swollen lymphnodes are caused by things that cause inflamation. This can be infectious: viral or bacterial, chemical exposure, allergies. Tumors can ... Read More
6 thanks
A 55-year-old female asked:
Dr. Donald Colantino
60 years experience Internal Medicine
?swollen neck glands: Viral or strep infection of the throat are the most common cause of bilateral swollen neck lymph glands. Swelling of glands on only one side or in the ... Read More
2 thanks
A 55-year-old member asked:
Dr. Heidi Fowler
24 years experience Psychiatry
Strep test/ cultures: For significant sore throat with swollen tonsils / lymph nodes – see physician & get a strep throat test/ culture. If you have strep throat, antibiot ... Read More
1 thank

90,000 U.S. doctors in 147 specialties are here to answer your questions or offer you advice, prescriptions, and more. Get help now:

Ask doctors free
Personalized answers
Talk to a doctor
Unlimited visits